Life can get hectic at times so it may be difficult to get a full blown workout in every single day but there are plenty of little ways you can stay active in everyday life. Even if you are not breaking a sweat, there are still great benefits to getting some extra movement in.
1. Workout at work
As we’ve previously detailed before, working out at work can be a great way to help energize yourself throughout the work day. Even these micro-workouts can elevate the heart-rate a bit and serve as minor cardio. Besides the exercises we’ve detailed in that post there are many other ways you can get some exercise during your 8 hour day.
1. Take the stairs as often as you can
2. Instead of driving to lunch, take a walk with some coworkers and maybe even have some quality bonding time.
3. If you find yourself constantly using your phone to page your coworkers, try walking to their physical offices instead. Unless the matter is extremely time sensitive, then you should probably stick with using the phone.
4. Encourage social sporting outings after work and maybe even form a team. Or have sporting competitions between departments.
5. If your commute is short enough, you can even ride a bike to work. On that note,
2. Ride your bike
If you do not have a bicycle, it is well worth it to invest in one. Try to ride is everywhere whenever possible.
3. Let the remote collect dust
Even during your relaxation time, you can find a way to get a little more movement by getting off the couch and manually changing the channels. This also prevents soreness and dangerous conditions which may arise from sitting still for an extended period of time.
4. Clean the house
This piece of advice offers you two great benefits. First, you can easily work up a sweat cleaning up your house by intensely vacuuming or taking mopping to the extreme. The second benefit is that your house will be clean.
5. Find an active hobby
It doesn’t have to be a sport, but sports are a great and fun way to get into shape and stay active. Other active hobbies include carpentry, gardening, wood chopping, biking and many more.
6. Find someone who is active and tag along with them (or make someone active)
Workout partners are the best. Being active is always more fun when you have someone to socialize with and you can hold each other accountable. You can also take your dogs for walks. Dogs are generally always up to be more active.
7. Stand up at work or just whenever possible
As stated before, sitting down can negatively impact health, so if possible, standing at work can help you feel better and more energized throughout the day. There has also been an increase in popularity recently for the desk treadmills. While the technology isn’t quite there yet, standing at work can still help you be a little more active.
Whether it’s at a club or just in your living room, dancing can be an awesome way to burn a few calories. If you have a significant other, take them out to swing dancing or salsa or any of the other festive dances out there. If you don’t have a significant other, there is no shame in dancing alone. Everyone does it.
9. Go shopping
Not online shopping, that doesn’t count. Walking around the mall at a brisk pace can also be a way to move around in a fun environment. Malls are especially great during hot days since they’re air conditioned. Just make sure to keep your credit card at home so you don’t get too tempted by all the goodies.
10. Park far away
When you’re at the mall or anywhere else, try to park a good distance away in order to squeeze in a little more fitness time. Avoid parking a great distance away at night though. That may be harmful.
11. Exercise while doing other stuff
Multitasking is highly recommended if you’re too ridiculously busy to work out all the time.
1. Do wall-sits while brushing your teeth
2. Work while sitting on an exercise ball. Trying to stabilize yourself will work out your core muscles.
3. Ride a stationary bike while reading
4. Ride a stationary bike while watching television
5. Ride a stationary bike while contemplating the true meaning of life
6. Do calf-lifts while standing in line
The possibilities are endless. There are always ways to make everything a little more active. You just have to get creative.