Stairstep-based exercise equipment offer one of the most challenging workouts in the shortest time frame by engaging both cardio and strength aspects of a complete lower body workout.
We've chosen three machines to survey here that together represent a broad spectrum of what's available in the category at the "more economical" end of prices.
First, some of the benefits...
While working out for as little as 10 minutes can be beneficial you can burn up to 1.5 times your bodyweight in calories with each 30-minute workout on a stepmill. Because you never need to descend the stairs stepmills offer some the lowest impact cardio for the intensity of the workout available in the entire gym.
And naturally, some challenges...
Make no mistake: the size, weight and bulkiness of these machines means that they are more geared towards use in a professional fitness environment that in a home gym. For starters there's the height of the user when standing on the top-most step. A 6'+ male can easily be over 9' tall when on the top stair of these machines. That means a 10' ceiling is necessary in order to even feel comfortable using the machine.
Their weight means that USPS, UPS and FedEx are all out of the shipping equation and that it will need to be freighted to you.
All of their features mean one thing: this a complex mechanism and it's going to be more expensive to purchase, require setup to use, need adjustments and maintenance.
Finally, you'll notice the different names...
If you spend any time comparing all of the various models available in the stairstep-based exerciser category you will quickly notice that some of the manufacturer's has taken pains to create an entirely new name for what is essentially the same machine. While the category is known generally as "stepmills" Life Fitness calls theirs the "Powermill Climber" and Stairmaster, who could call them "the stair master" instead calls them "stepmills".
Primo Fitness PF-25SM Stepmill
We are proud to announce the Primo Fitness Stepmill. This is a commercial-grade stepmill built so durably that it is suitable for even the busiest gym.
A competitively priced product based on a proven design, the Primo Fitness Stepmill represents a sound, long-lasting investment in one of the most popular gym machines.
- Non-slip, 8” fixed step, revolving stairs
- 10 Workout Programs - Quick Start, Manual, Fat Burner, Calorie Burner, Speed Intervals, Custom Intervals, Random Intensity, Heart Rate Intervals, Calorie Goal, Heart Rate Zone Trainer
- Fitness Tests: Multi-stage Fit Test, CPAT Fire Pit Test and WFI Stepmill Test
- Heart Rate System: Polar Telemetry Compatible
- Ergonomically designed hand rails
- Maximum user weight of 350 pounds
- Drive System: Electronically controlled alternator with chain drive
- Accessories: Cup Holder, Reading Rack, Accessory Tray
- Stair revolve at speeds varying from 24 - 162 steps per minute
- LCD console is TV-ready. Upgradeable to 15" LCD TV
- Warranty: Frame - 15 Years | Mechanical Parts - 3 Years | Labor / Electronics - 1 Year
- Dimensions: 50" L x 29" W x 78" H
- Weight: 409 lbs.
Life Fitness Integrity Series Powermill Climber
The Integrity Series PowerMill Climber uses SureStepSystem™ Technology and a reliable AC motor to ensure smooth motion and a large range of available speeds for a wide range of exercisers.
PowerMill has the largest usable step space of any similar product in the industry. Available with wireless internet connection, which provides asset management data and insight into preventive maintenance through the LFconnect.com business portal. Exercisers can also engage with the most popular health and fitness apps like MyFitnessPal and Apple Health.
Click here to purchase a Life Fitness Powermill from Primo Fitness
- Cup Holders: 2
- Integrated Accessory Tray: Yes
- Pedals: Wide Non-Slip Two-Tone Stair/Riser
- Plug In Accessory: No
- Resistance levels: 25
- Support Handlebars: Yes
- Easy To Remove Headphone Jack: Yes
- Heart Rate Monitoring: Polar® Telemetry (optional chest strap required); Lifepulse™ with DSP (Digital Signal Processing)
- Integrated Reading Rack: Yes
- IsoTrack™ Climbing System: No
- On the Fly Programming: Yes
- Welded Steel Frame, Front Roller Lift Wheels and Rear Levelers: No
- Wheels: 4 Wheels for Easy Mobility and Positioning
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 55.92 in x 32.81 in x 82.3 in (143 cm x 84 cm x 210 cm)
- Weight: 473 lb (215 kg)
- 3.5mm Headphone Jack: Yes
- Max User Weight: 400 lb (182 kg)
- Step Up Height: 10.5 in (27 cm)
- Auto-Start: No
- Power Requirements: 100-240 volts, 50/60 HZ, 3 Amps
StairMaster SM916 Stepmill
This model stepmill is from StairMaster, the company that started the entire movement towards the many types of step-based exercise machines you see today.
One of the main distinctions that the SM916 has is the ability to upgrade the console from a backlit LED to a 15" LCD screen and it's inclusion of 10 exercise programs not 6 as in the Stairmaster 7000PT (see comparison below).
- Revolving staircase with 8" (20.3 cm) high steps most closely duplicates the workout of real stair climbing
- NEW easy-to-read, back-lit C51 LCD console is tv ready. Upgrade your entertainment system with the addition of a 15" LCD tv.
- NEW handrails are ergonomically designed - which means users get a maximum level of intensity
- Water bottle holder and accessory tray are repositioned within reach and designed to hold personal items such as an mp3 player.
- Motivating programs include a nationally recognized fitness test to gauge individual progress and a custom firefighter Candidate Physical Abilities Test (C.P.A.T.)
- Staircase revolves at speeds varying from 24-162 steps per minute
- Includes Polar compatible telemetry Heart Rate monitoring
This comparison of the Primo Fitness Stepmill vs. Life Fitness Powermill Climber vs. StairMaster SM916 Stepmill is just a small sampling of what's available in the stepper product category.
For a broader look check out all the stepmills we have for sale on our site.
Because of our volume we always recommend that you call us at (714) 957-2765 for the best pricing and a custom shipping quote.