Gym equipment names can be confusing, and in most cases, you may not be able to tell the role of each machine. Knowledge of these names is essential especially for a person who wishes to establish a gym at their homes. Since these machines are costly, it is advisable to look for used exercise equipment for sale when setting up your gym.
Gym equipment are numerous and can be broadly grouped into three categories. These are:
- Cardiovascular machines
- Resistance machines and
- Free weight equipment
Cardiovascular top of the line machines are mainly used to facilitate aerobics, relieving stress and also minimizing the effects of depression. Below are some of the cardiovascular machines you will never miss in a gym.
- The treadmill: it enables one to practice running or even walking at a given pace primarily to strengthen the lungs.
- Rowing machine: it offers a great way to exercise the whole body especially to work the lungs.
- Elliptical machine: it stimulates a running motion which has no impact on your knee joints and also involves the arms to ensure a full body workout.
- Recumbent bike: this Italian-made machine ensures a fantastic minimal impact form of cardio which provides extra comfort as well as back support, unlike an upright bike.
Resistance machines are meant to strengthen the muscles. They come in different shapes, sizes, and style but they all function on the same principle. Some use a series of cables while others use hydraulic resistance. Below are the commonly used resistance machines:
- Leg press machine: they are designed to effectively exercise all the lower body muscles while protecting the joints at the same time.
- Hack squat machine: this machine is designed to enable you to perform a squatting movement while more emphasis is on thighs to develop them.
- Leg extension machine: it helps you to isolate the quads by yourself and either tone them, strengthen them or even a combination of both.
- Seated calf machine: it offers a fantastic way to develop and isolate the calf muscles.
- Lat pull-down machine: these machines mainly focus on the back muscles but also the forearms.
Free weight equipment
These are machines that one can hold with the hand and pick up. Their essence is to make your body works against gravity as pick the object. They include:
- Standard barbell: this is a long bar used as a loading platform for various weight plates.
- Olympic barbell: an Olympic barbell works like a regular barbell, but it can handle excessive loads due to its premium quality.
- Fixed weight dumbbell: this is a handheld weight that one can use to perform unlimited exercises with.
- Climbing rope: it is used for developing lower and upper body strength while focusing on every core aspect and lower and upper body muscles.
The above-mentioned gym equipment are just a sample of the many machines you are likely to find in a gym. With regular training, you will be able to learn much other equipment as you gain confidence in how to use them.